Window receiving button-release-event

Hi,

I have a dialog that represents some sort of database values.
The dialog has a "save" button, that I would like to enable
only if the dialogs data differs from the stored data.
I wrote an appropriate "is_modified" function that checks this.

Now I am looking for the right event slot to run this function
after every action that might have changed some widget's value.
There is no way to change anything without either a mouse button
or a key press. I hoped, the following should do the job, without
having to mess with all the single child widgets
($self is the dialog window):

$self->add_events("button-release-mask");
$self->signal_connect_after("button-release-event", $check_modified);
$self->signal_connect_after("key-release-event", $check_modified);

The key-release part works as intended, but for some reason,
I don't get any button-release event that occurs within a child
widget that is also interested in button-release (i.e. pretty
much everything except frames and labels).

The GTK documentation says about signal_connect_after:
"The handler will be called after the default handler of the signal
instance", so I hoped it should work even when there is another signal
handler installed.

Any ideas how to get this right?

Regards,
                           Peter Daum