Re: Setting window position and size

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:03 +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:

This is slightly off topic, but...

A couple of months ago, Debian started packaging my (Gtk2-Perl) scanning app.

The app saves and restores its window position, size and whether it is
maximised or not between sessions. A Debian developer has requested
that this be left to the window manager. What is the Right Way here?
I'm tempted to add an option whether to restore window settings.

Interested in opinions

An option to enable / disable this feature would be a good idea. I use Enlightenment-0.17 as a window manager, and applications that try to set window size and position usually end up annoying the hell out of me. As the Debian developer mentioned, this really is the job of the window manager. It's just unfortunate that Metacity / Gnome don't provide a lot of options for actually managing windows, because this can lead people to write applications that try to compensate for this ( glade-2 springs to mind ... it used to absolutely insist on putting the toolbox in the very top left corner ).

What you really need is one of these ( apologies to html email haters ):

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer