Is it possible to stop a signal callback?

Hi,
In my application, there is a callback which may take a long time to finish. Is it possible to return from the callback when user really need? For example,
code as following, can I press the button 'cancel' to stop the counting?
Is there any document about thread in Gtk2?

use Gtk2 '-init';
use Glib qw(TRUE FALSE);
my $window = Gtk2::Window->new('toplevel');
$window->signal_connect('delete_event' => sub { Gtk2->main_quit; });

my $hbox= Gtk2::HBox->new(FALSE, 0);
my $but;
$but = Gtk2::Button->new('start');
$but->signal_connect(