Re: problem wih getting Net-CUPS perl module to install

On Oct 18, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Neil Dugan wrote:

Hi I am new to getting perl modules to install.  I don't know if this
is the correct place to ask, but here goes.

Wrong list. This problem appears to be specific to the code of the Net::CUPS extension, so try a CUPS list, or ping the extension's author.

I am using Ubuntu linux 2.6.15-27-686
I downloaded Net-CUPS-0.41.tar.gz
Printer.xs: In function ‘XS_Net__CUPS__Printer_cupsGetClasses’:
Printer.xs:149: warning: ‘cupsGetClasses’ is deprecated (declared at
/usr/include/cups/cups.h:152)
Printer.xs: In function ‘XS_Net__CUPS__Printer_cupsGetPrinters’:
Printer.xs:329: warning: ‘cupsGetPrinters’ is deprecated (declared at
/usr/include/cups/cups.h:157)
In file included from Protocol.xs:10:
Protocol_constant_c.inc: In function ‘constant_15’:
Protocol_constant_c.inc:1102: error: ‘CUPS_ADD_DEVICE’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
Protocol_constant_c.inc:1102: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
Protocol_constant_c.inc:1102: error: for each function it appears in.)
Protocol_constant_c.inc: In function ‘constant_18’:
Protocol_constant_c.inc:1712: error: ‘CUPS_DELETE_DEVICE’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
Protocol.xs: In function ‘XS_Net__CUPS__Protocol_ippTimeToDate’:
Protocol.xs:53: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target typemake[1]: *** [Protocol.o] Error 1

That smells an awful lot like the perl extension expects to build against a different version of the CUPS C library than you have. Since you're getting deprecation warnings, and it looks like the extension code is using symbols that don't exist, the extension probably doesn't support CUPS 1.2.x.

--
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
  -- President George W. Bush