Re: Namespace Registration

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:37 -0500, James Muir wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I've been reading the CPAN FAQ about registering a namespace for a
widget. I'm developing using gtk2-perl, so I thought I'd check with you
about a suitable name for it. The widget draws a mindmap (or outline) on
a Gnome2::Canvas.

There's a picture at: http://users.vtlink.net/~nightsky/zim/mindmap.html

Cool project.  I agree with Ross that your name is sensible.

One thing from your todo list:

| SVG support when new version if Gnome2::Canvas appears

libgnomecanvas, and therefore Gnome2::Canvas, is in maintenance-only
mode.  It doesn't appear likely that any new stuff will be added any
time soon.  Some people are working on replacements, most of them based
on cairo.  See the bottom of

  http://cairographics.org/examples

and

  http://www.dachaplin.dsl.pipex.com/goocanvas/

In the meantime, you can use Gnome2::Rsvg to turn SVGs into
Gtk2::Gdk::Pixbufs which should be usable by Gnome2::Canvas.

This is my first perl module, so I'm not at all familiar with the
protocol for doing this.  Should I next contact the CPAN to register
this namespace?

The PAUSE site

  http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html

lists most of the "rules".