Re: Gnome2::Sound question

On Thu,  6 Oct 2005 12:00:48 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:42:45 +0200
From: Simon P?ter <pepolinux gmail com>
Subject: Re: Gnome2::Sound question
To: gtk-perl-list gnome org

Hi,

Tazman Ordog 2005. okt_ber 2. 19.04 d_tummal ezt _rta:
Hi List,

I use Gnome2::Sound in one of my program. If the sound server is
unreachable then I get error like this: "audio_alsa: no cards found!".
Of course this must to be happends. I would like to know is there any
chance to detect the connection to sound server before I turn on
Gnome2::Sound? (On other hands perl-Gtk2 frozen after too many "audio_alsa:
no cards found" error, I after ~ 20 errors the main window frozen...)

I also don't know, but very interested. I've got same trouble.
Is there any way to check the connection to sound server before we try to use?

Here are a couple of ideas.

1.  Do "alsactl power 0" and check the results.  0 is the soundcard number.

2. Use Audio::DSP to try and setup the dsp, and check for an error.

3. Do an lsmod and check for "snd"

http://zentara.net/japh.html