Re: sample terminal programs

On Nov 15, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Dirk Koopman wrote:

I need to write (to start with) a simple terminal program that looks and
acts rather like a gaim IRC window. Is there a sample GTK perl program
out there that does that?

Erm, gaim's irc window isn't a traditional terminal, so i'm not sure what you're asking for.

There are programs that use the Gtk2::TextView to display chats, e.g. http://developer.berlios.de/projects/gtkchat/

The basic trick is to use a right-gravity mark at the end of the buffer and scroll to that mark on each insert. (That'll make more sense as you poke at the API.)

Raf already pointed out Gnome2::Vte, if you want a real terminal emulator for running a child process.

--
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
  -- President George W. Bush