Re: auto-upgrading strings to utf8

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 15:40 +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:

Now yes, this is the right solution -- the G_TYPE_STRING must be
supposed to be utf8 for sake of general sanity.

I'm unable to find a single word in the docs that would support this.
GstFileSrc's "location" property gets setup via g_param_spec_string
which creates a GParamSpecString instance.  The corresponding GValue's
for GParamSpecString are of type G_TYPE_STRING.  g_value_get_string
returns a const gchar*.  gchar is just a typedef for char, and the docs
say about it:

  Corresponds to the standard C char type.

Then there is GtkFileChooser.  gtk_file_chooser_get_filename returns a
gchar*, too.  The docs say:

  This means that while you can pass the result of
  gtk_file_chooser_get_filename() to open(2) or fopen(3), you may not
  be able to directly set it as the text of a GtkLabel widget unless
  you convert it first to UTF-8, which all GTK+ widgets expect. You
  should use g_filename_to_utf8() to convert filenames into strings
  that can be passed to GTK+ widgets.

So, no, I don't think the GStreamer library is wrong in assuming that
filenames set via the "location" property are in the correct (i.e.
filesystem) encoding already.  But yes, I think we should fix this in
the GStreamer bindings as opposed to Glib or Gtk2.  I'll see if the
previously mentioned approach works out.

--
Bye,
-Torsten