RE: Newbie: How to program window -> serial code -> window?

Sorry – forgot to mention, I’m using ActiveState Perl, Gtk2 from http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/win32/ppm/, on a WindowsXP machine.

_Taku

From: Tokuyasu, Taku
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:34 PM
To: 'gtk-perl-list gnome org'
Subject: Newbie: How to program window -> serial code -> window?

Hello,

I’m trying to do the following:

  1. Open up a window (Entry) to get filenames
  2. Close the window, and make a system call to an executable with the above filename arguments
  3. Open up a different window when the system call finishes (e.g. a dialog box with different options)

I’m not sure if this is obvious or not.  I tried simply duplicating a code block starting with “use Gtk2 '-init':” and ending with “Gtk2->main;”, with the system call in between, but the first window did not disappear after quit’ing the window, instead hanging around until the second window quit.

Perhaps I shouldn’t quit the windows, just have them both hanging around and show/hide them as needed?  I’m wondering what the paradigm here should be.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

_Taku