Re: simplelist speed - profiling

On Sunday 09 January 2005 20:38, Dan Espen wrote:
Does anyone know the trick to profiling perl code?

Hi, I don't think perl can give you the figures you are asking for. You want,
if I get it right , to know where in the C based code you spend time when you
call them from perl. Perl is not a C/binary profiler. I can only give you
what it knows about. This is going to be tough as if you link perl statically
with you -pg compiled lib, then run it and use gprof (not the perl profiler
which is a simple module). You are going to get a lot of data about where
perl spends its time too so the data might be less usable.

You question is very interresting. I didn't have the courage to go through
this a few years ago when I tried to write a WxPerl app.  It took much too
long time to redraw. I should have done the profiling :-(. Another
interresting information you'll get is the time spend in the XS wrapping
code. I am very interrested in seeing the figures you get.

Good luck, Nadim.