Re: Gnome canvas problem on Ubuntu

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 20:39 -0600, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
But why wouldn't it be sufficient just to push a new version (which
you'll have to do either way) without the custom boxed wrapper and
require libgnomecanvas-2 >= 2.12.0?

As Aristotle pointed out, this would mean it wouldn't work with older
versions.

As it stands, the code will work with old versions of the library as
well as new versions.  The only problem is that the difference is
resolved at compile time so if the library is subsequently upgraded but
the Perl binding is not recompiled then we see the errors.

Frankly, I don't think it's worth worrying about.  The solution for me
was to rebuild the package - no great hardship.  It's not clear whether
an official recompiled package will be released for the current version
of Ubuntu though.

Cheers
Grant