Re: Gnome canvas problem on Ubuntu

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 21:49 -0500, muppet wrote:
On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Grant McLean wrote:

I don't seem to be able to use bezier path objects with the packaged
version of Gnome2::Canvas in Ubuntu 5.10 ('Breezy').  For example,
this
test script should display a blue semi-circle:
[...]
Instead, the following errors are output and nothing is displayed
on the
canvas:

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion
`g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed at ./beziertest.pl line 19.

The problem is that you're using a build of Gnome2::Canvas compiled
against an older version of libgnomecanvas with a new version of
libgnomecanvas, and the workaround for the older versions is breaking.

That does indeed appear to be the problem.  I had actually tried
rebuilding from source, but must have screwed up my Perl library path
when I attempted to test it.  I've rebuilt the libgnome2-canvas-perl
package and after installing it, the problem is resolved.

I've logged a bug with Ubuntu:

  https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/5334

In the meantime if other people are having trouble with Gnome2::Canvas
on Ubuntu, they can download an updated package from here:

  http://sprog.sourceforge.net/install/ubuntu.html

Thanks muppet for an amazingly quick turnaround and your usual thorough
explanation of what was going on.

Regards
Grant