Using Gtk2::Helper->add_watch() or Glib::IO->add_watch

I am trying to build the functionality where my app issues an sql
statement and constantly updates a progressbar (or some other form of
feedback) while the sql is being executed by the database.

I know this has been discussed here before and one of the solutions
was to fork the sql execution into a separate "thread" using
Gtk2::Helper->add_watch() or Glib::IO->add_watch.

Unfortunately, the docs for these APIs didn't help me too much. Google
search didn't return much either. Any good samaritan here willing to
share some code snippets on how to achieve this ;) ?

I promise to add a recipe for this once I figure it out with a lil'
help from you folks.

Thanks,

_Ofey