Re: gtk_init() does not return

barrett 9hells org said:
I'm having this weird problem here.

I already installed (always compiling the src) gtk+-2.4 and Gtk2-Perl
on other machines (a Debian and a Redhat, IIRC), and it went well.

But here at home (Slackware 9.0) Gtk2 compiled fine (perl Makefile.PL
and 'make'), but 'make test' failed (at 16/34 of the first batch).
After inserting some debug printf's in xs/Gtk2.c::XS_Gtk2_init function,
I found out that gtk_init() is just not returning.
strace gave me no clue.

Have you guys seen this before?

this is an old and unresolved problem. is seems to stem from the interaction
of a non-threaded perl and gtk+. solutions seem to be iffy at best. some have
reported success when compiling Glib (perl) without threads, perl Makefile.PL
--without-threads or something like that, look in the Makefile.PL. the only
thing known to fix the problem is to install a threaded perl on the system.
that being said there are plenty of systems with non-threaded perl that don't
have the issues. it seems to be limited to slackware and some freebsd systems,
at least i don't remember anyone else having problems.

we looked into it quite a bit and concluded that it was nothing we were doing
and there was probably nothing we could do to fix it. the bindings have
nothing to do with things once the call to the C gtk_init has been made.

-rm