Re: [RFC] Gtk2::SizeRecall - Persistently store and restore widgetsizes

"Ross McFarland" wrote:

Torsten Schoenfeld said:
On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 16:37, Jörn Reder wrote:
[...]
In Gtk2, they're bound to the bi-annual release cycle -- which can be
pretty long if you just want to release an easy but important bugfix.

So, why not create a separate package and upload it to CPAN?

we could look at creating an extras package. the upside would be all of the
extras would be more likely to get installed, the downside is that they'd be
tied together release wise.

Another advantage of such an extra package is that this makes clear,
which modules are Perl only resp. add-ons to the Gtk2 C libraries and
API's, and which are bindings of the C package. Otherwise people may
easily overlook great modules like Gtk2::SimpleList, if they know only
the C API before they switched over to Perl.

If we package such modules in separate CPAN packages we should at least
list them all on the website and in the Gtk2 documentation.

we also need to watch namespace issues. while i don't think there's danger of
gtk+ adding something called SizeRecall we probably ought to have a namespace
dedicated for extra stuff to ensure there won't be any such problems in the
future. thoughts?

Yep, I'd also appreciate a fixed namespace for Perl only extensions, to
prevent any namespace clashing in advance.

From the namespaces Aristotle suggested in his posting, I'd vote for
Gtk2::Perl, because creating another toplevel namespace is probably more
evil than the two more colons to type ;)

Regards,

Joern

--
Joern Reder