Re: SimpleList.pm and activation callbacks (patch)

Once I figured out that I wanted Gtk2-Perl, things got smoother.  The
source install from CPAN worked perfectly, once I figured out that I
needed to install the ExtUtils stuff first.

the various makefiles include code that should trigger cpan to install/offer
to install the missing dependencies for you -- did that not work?

I don't recall the exact sequence, but if I recall correctly, I got a
build that built partially, got an error message that ExtUtils was
missing, installed ExtUtils, and then had to re-run 'perl -MCPAN -e
shell' before I the install worked correctly.  But it's been over a
week since I did it, so I could be mistaken.

Maybe there could be something like the "Object Browser" program (which
I found when searching for examples) that could simply show all the
possible methods for each widget, with a simple explanation of what
each method does?

one of my pie-in-the-sky goals for the object browser is to have it
list the methods of available on each object, but this requires
rather a lot of infrastructure support, because, unlike signals and
properties, there is no runtime-queryable metadata about object
methods.  i've considered trawling the symbol table, but because
there is no way to distinguish public from private methods, and you
wouldn't get any information about parameters and return values.

I think the 'trawl the symbol table' approach is worth considering
closely.  At least it would put the information all in one place, so
that you could scan the list for what seems relevant.  Public versus
private doesn't really exist in Perl internals, but presumably there
is a different naming convention for each, right?  Parameters and
return values could be accessible via a hyperlink to the appropriate
object doc page, right?

The main thing I find myself wanting are more sample code, more sample
programs, and more working examples.

what kinds of programs?  big, small, contrived illustrations or real-world
brain-benders?

Small self contained ones are what I want.  The example incorporated
into the documentation for SimpleList was exactly what I was looking
for: discover that simple list exists, type "man Gtk2::SimpleList",
and voila a working example of how to use it.

I'd be looking for simple self-contained programs that illustrate the
use of a single widget.  Ideally, these could also serve as test
programs: perhaps both the docs and the tests could both include the
same little piece of code, so as to keep the docs up to date.
Currently with the test directory the syntax of the tests makes it
quite hard (for me) quickly figure out what is happening, but if the
code was standalone this would be much easier.

This patch adds a function to SimpleList that users
can call from that callback function so they don't need to figure all
that out.  It also gives an example of how it is used.

great patch, but about ten days too late for 1.040 -- our API is
frozen.

is this important enough to try to get a freeze break approved?

No, it's not important enough to merit any special treatment.
Although if we're playing technicalities I'll mention that it was
originally submitted March 2, but the mail was tossed because my
subscription hadn't finished being confirmed yet ;).

--nate