Re: Making RPMS

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:27:02AM -0500, Ross McFarland wrote:
Jim Donoghue said:
How do I make RPMs from the source? I'd like to make a set of RPMs for
Mandrake 9.2. I see targets for 'dist', 'dist-rpms' etc.. but can't get
it to build. Is there a certain order these have to be done? There's no
document for building/installing that I can find after I untar the
source.

make dist-rpms 'should' work. for me to help you as to why it's not you'd have
to provide me with more information, logs of it failing etc. i no longer use
that method to build things as i've started using a build system called mach
that works really well for our needs. there's a target called dist-srpms that
will build a srpm, you may have better luck with that route. the most likely
cluprit is that you're missing rpm dependancies.

to build rpms from src you have to first make ExtUtils-Depends/PkgConfig then
install those rpms, then build Glib, install it, and finally Gtk2. this is
part of what mach takes care of for you. i don't think mandrake is one of the
available targets with mach at this point.

Can you provide some pointers to "mach"?  I'm curious about it now, and all
my google hits keep pulling up stuff on the mach kernel.

        -Sean