Re: glade localization woes

* Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz> [2004-06-16 13:36]:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:02:58 +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
last but not least, since Locale::Gettext has no knowledge of
gtk2-perl and cannot and shouldn't know whether gtk+2 is used
or not, there's no reason that this package should enforce
utf8

You are right here. Perl works just right with all string in
locale encoding. Touching Locale::gettext is not a good idea.

May I interrupt? If I understood correctly, Locale::gettext does
not mark the string as UTF-8 for the perl internals, even if you
request UTF-8 encoding from gettext, right?

In that case, that's definitely a bug. I don't think it's a good
idea to have Locale::gettext *force* UTF-8, but when the wrapper
is told to return strings encoded that way, it should certainly
set the corresponding flag on the string so things will Just Work
in Perl.

Regards,
--
Aristotle
"If you can't laugh at yourself, you don't take life seriously enough."