[RFC] Glib::I18N

Hello all,

With the late talk about l10n of gtk2/glade stuff, I really thing there
should be a module in Glib taking care of that. It should provide
bindings to:

    g_get_charset
    g_locale_from_utf8
    g_locale_to_utf8
    (these are not the same as g_filename_to/from_unicode, which are
     NOPs, unless %ENV{G_BROKEN_FILENAMES})

    dgettext
    gettext
        It should mark the result as utf8 string
    textdomain
    bindtextdomain
        It should also call bind_textdomain_charset(..., 'UTF-8')
    g_strip_context
    _
    N_
    Q_
    P_
    (and any other similar macros that live in glib/gdk/gtk...)
    (well, these don't need to be bindings... just strings)

It should also do:
    use Encode::Alias;
    define_alias(glocal => get_charset())

(though I believe I saw some such alias somewhere, but I can't find it
now)

It should work like glib/gi18n-lib.h in respect that:

use Glib::I18N 'foo';

would actualy export _ function defined as:

sub _ { dgettext('foo', $_[0]) }

(and analogously for Q_ and P_ (the N_ is a nop))

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>