The Great Merge

in a fit of productiveness tonight, possibly spurred on by the nostalgic
death metal show on the local college radio station[1], i have merged
the unstable-2-3-x branch into HEAD.

the code checks all over the place for 2.3.x to be available; when
gtk+-2.4.0 is released, all of these checks need to be converted to
2.4.0, and the files named *-2.3 need to be renamed *-2.4.  i was hoping
to avoid this by waiting for 2.4 to be released, but the natives are
getting restless.

as for the api inconsistencies in the 2.3.x series -- we will only
support HEAD, and when 2.4.0 is released we will disavow the existence
of 2.3.x.  this is the only way to retain sanity.

this merge adds a boatload of new files, and splits the maps file into
three to make it easier to maintain mappings.  i've spent about five
hours on this so far this evening, checking the demo, examples, and
tests to make sure things work with gtk+ 2.0.6 and HEAD (i don't have
2.2.x handy at home anymore).  please let me know if you find anything
wrong.

kaffee -- your work is cut out for you.  i've added tests for
ColorButton, FontButton, Expander, and ComboBox.  the ComboBox test is
not exhaustive, as it's really freaking late and i need to get to bed.
so, your work is cut out for you.  :-)

also, i added a custom implementation of gdk_event_new() for when we're
compiling against gtk+-2.0.x (which didn't have it), so that
Gtk2::Gdk::Event->new will always work.

whew.

[1] "Hemorrhaging Abscess", on WRFL.  http://wrfl.org/
i guess i work faster to high-tempo music.  :-)