Re: Problems on AMD64 with Glib module

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:51:58PM -0500, muppet wrote:
from your error message, it sounds like the version of perl you are using is
trying to interpret the file descriptor as a reference.  is it really a
reference, or is it an integer?

It seems it is undef.

try uncommenting the Data::Dumper print on line 76 of t/9.t and running the
script directly (e.g., perl -I blib/lib -I blib/arch t/9.t).  on my system, it
prints:

  $VAR1 = [
            6,
            bless( do{\(my $o = 1)}, 'Glib::IOCondition' )
          ];

Here it is:

$VAR1 = [
          undef,
          bless( do{\(my $o = 1)}, 'Glib::IOCondition' )
        ];

that test  exercises the log message stuff, and therefore counts warnings, and
you're probably getting extra ones.  if you would be so kind, please run that
test directly (as above) and post its output.

1..14
ok 1
ok 2
ok 3 # running in eval
ok 4 # idle one-shot
ok 5 # another idle, but this one dies
ok 6 # in __DIE__ handler
ok 7 #
ok 8
ok 9 # running in eval
ok 10 # dying with 'waugh'
ok 11 # killing loop from exception handler
ok 12
ok 13 # running in eval
$VAR1 = [
          undef,
          bless( do{\(my $o = 1)}, 'Glib::IOCondition' )
        ];
Use of uninitialized value in ref-to-glob cast at t/9.t line 80, <IN>
chunk 1.
ok 14 # eof, dying with 'done\n'

Compiler doesn't warn me any more, but the test still doesn't pass, so
probably the problem is somhere else. Any hints?

there are probably bits of code which assume pointer/int samesizeness but
which do not trigger compiler warnings.  are you using the "-Wall -W" flags to
GCC?  (GCC will warn about nearly every xsub having an unused parameter named
"cv", but that's unavoidable.)

No -Wall here. I think at least part of those warnings could be
generated only on 64-bit platforms ("converting pointer to incompatible
integer" or something like that).

My warning-killer patch is attached.

thanks.  doubtless, you will find similar problems in all of the Gtk2-Perl
modules, once you get past Glib.

This sentence doesn't make me happy... ;-)

Greets,
        Jacek