Re: Multiple documents interfaces

On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 01:07 PM, Tor-björn Claesson wrote:

Hello,
I'm writing, using perl2-gtk, a clone of the program manager from windows 3.1, and to do this I
need to use a multiple documents interface.
While googling I have found a number of sources claiming that Gtk2 doesn't support MDI-windows, so
I will have to write something that does.
Since I'm new to GUI-programming, I would appreciate any suggestions about how to do this and
pointers to relevant information.

the win3.1 program manager was really a grid-layout icon list container in several windows. so far as i know, the GtkTreeView does not support such a mode, and the one you see in nautilus is actually custom code atop the GnomeCanvas. you should be able to re-create something like that with Gnome2::Canvas (which doesn't have any Gnome dependencies, mind you), but other people may have other suggestions.

concerning the window-in-window multiple document interface --- GTK+ does not do this. basically, it's not a toolkit's job to manage windows, it is a window manager's job. you may have seen java and qt/kde programs using window-in-window MDI, but you'll also notice that the child window frames are not managed by your window manager and therefore look and act differently; this inconsistency is not good.

besides, even microsoft is moving away from window-in-window MDI, and it was their idea. don't use it. it's an abomination. multiple toplevel windows, properly grouped, will solve the same problem.

--
"that's it! you're a genius!" "yes. that's what i think. do you think i deserve a raise?"
        - dialogue from 'Godzilla versus Mothra', 1964