Re: Gnome2-Canvas 1.00 on fire

Cory C. Omand said:
Hello,

I've been happily building the last stable release of Gtk2-Perl on my
Solaris 9 SPARC system for the last two months or so without (many)
issues.  This includes the then non-required Gnome2-Canvas 0.34.

Yesterday, I updated my build system to include the latest 1.0X versions
of all of the Gtk2-Perl packages, and the build seemed to make it most
of the way through without (many) issues (Solaris 9 includes *ancient*
versions of glib/gtk+, but the Perl modules still manage to compile
without problems -- some tests have issues, but that's another email).

When I did a nightly build including the updates, the Gnome2-Canvas tree
configured correctly, finding everything it required for build.  As soon
as the 'make' command was issued, however, the source tree burst into
flames with an error output over 2000 lines long.  This leads me to
believe that there is something very small and critical wrong in the way
older versions of the libraries/headers are handled.

you win the award for best email subject line for the week.

the most likely (a possible) problem is that you need an updated
ExtUtils::Depends (and ExtUtils::PkgConfig wouldn't hurt) depends had some
non-backwards compatible changes, and older versions don't have a mechinism
for checking the version requirements so this has been a popular problem. if
this is the case most of the errors would of been typemap realted. i don't
recognize the specific error messages you attached, but that's my best guess.
rule it out and we'll move on to other possibilities.

-rm