Re: Newbie wanting a good starting point

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 15:12, pat wrote:
If this is posted to the wrong list please accept my apologies.
I have a full install of Red Hat 8 and have read through the help files
there on using Kdevelopment and Glade. I have also downloaded a tutorial
'Gtk-Perl Tutorial' by Stephen Wilhelm written July 05, 2001. I am
reading though it at present. I have written some small programs in perl
and now would like to try and take them one step further into the
graphical world.

Can someone please point me to any other tutorials that might be a
better starting point as it appears to me there is a wide development
gap between what I have installed and the tutorial that I have
downloaded.

Gtk-Perl is possibly installed on your system already, if not there
should be a rpm package on the dist. cdroms. the tutorial you have is
most likely written for it. Gtk-Perl is mappings of Gtk+-1.x which is
slowly but surely being replaced by Gtk+-2.x

the stuff at http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/ provides mappings for the
new(er) Gtk+-2.x c libraries which is somewhat different. take a look at
the faq page on the gtk2-perl site for info about the different versions
and other useful stuff. also you may want to take a look at the
introduction to gui programming with Gtk2-Perl,
http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/intro/, it may or may not suit your
fancy and be the kind of thing you're looking for at this point.
obviously the documentation on the site should prove useful as well. in
most cases documentation of  the C Gtk+-2.x library will apply pretty
closely to Gtk2-Perl. and as you already have the mailing list is a good
place to turn with specific questions you can't find answers to
elsewhere.

as for kdevelopment i can't really help you much there i have every used
it. glade(xml) is pretty cool, but at this point you'd probably be
better served by starting up building apps line by line to get a better
feel for what's going on. after you understand the gist of things using
glade may prove to be a time saver (depending on what you're trying to
accomplish)

-rm