Re: [RFC] Gnome2::GConf error handling

* muppet <scott asofyet org>:

* Summary & Considerations

wow, that's awfully complicated for something that, at face value, should
either have a key or not.  i guess the other situations are "permission
denied" or "couldn't connect to database server" or "prefs file doesn't
exist",

Exactely.  Although I really don't know much about failures, since I've
never had one (lucky guy ;-)), and I've never spent much time inside
GConf sources.

and you might want to fail over to a different backend?

Backends aren't changeble by the user (that is, the GConfClient object),
but by the engine.  But, since GConf is a general purpose library, I
think that could be possible.

  my $client = Gnome2::GConf::Client->get_default;
  my $str = $client->get_string("/test/app/key", sub {
      print STDERR "Error while retrieving data from /test/app/key\n";
      });

so long as $client->get_string ($key) and the simple forms outlined above are
still available, this could be handy for workarounds and other sticky
situations.

My proposal had the prerequisite of not breaking any of the existing
code (even though it's a *very* small codebase, I think).  The optional
"err_sub" parameter would be completely optional, and the default
behaviour should be the "usual" one (no programmer-defined error
handling).

i don't think it should preclude the caller connecting his own
signal handlers explicitly.

I don't too.

Regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi (Zefram)       [ http://digilander.libero.it/ebassi/blog ]
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 4DD0 C90D 4070 F071 5738  08BD 8ECC DB8F A432 0FF4