Offtopic: I hate perl installs!

Sorry, just ranting.

I tried to build the beta - it fails immediately, needing ExtUtils::Depends.

I try running CPAN shell, which goes off re-installing itself and updating the several DOZENs of modules it depends on. Since CPAN.pm requires root perms, lord only knows what the hell it's doing to my system. I finally panic and kill it as it's running tests on Archive::tar -- yeesh!

Am I the only one that finds installing perl 'stuff' a complete PITA? From navigating CPAN, to installing, to maintaining; and upgrading perl simply repeats the nightmare all over again, as locally installed stuff (always?) remains tied to the old version. <primal_scream>

Ok, back to real work, but I still can't try Gtk2-Perl.

Can Gtk2-Perl include ExtUtils::Depends, or is an installed Gtk-Perl-0.7008 a well-known requirement?

<Joe