Re: Database Application Development with Perl / Gtk / Tk

bharat zonnet nl wrote:
Good morning all,

I am looking for guidance regarding the above subject. I am planning to
[snip]

Bharat Pondugula
[snip]

Tk may be your best bet, in terms of getting productive fast. Doesn't sound like you will be doing anything with the GUI that should impose much of a CPU burden.

The docs for Tk are pretty good and it has a well developed, tried and tested API that is pretty easy to work with.

Tk doesn't look as nice as Gtk+ can at its best. Gtk2+ is still in heavy development so I wouldn't recomend it.

Gtk+ 1.2 bindings work nicely but may not be as nicely documented as Tk.

For the future, keep your eye on Gtk2+ perl binding because it will be a full implementation of the new API and may be able to inter-operate nicely with code written in other languages.

BTW, Tk may be more reliably available on non-unix platforms. I believe there is a native port for Win32 and there may be something for the old Mac OS (don't know about OS X). Not sure if that makes a difference.

--
In Reach Technology:    http://inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
robert inreachtech net