Re: Setting a widget theme?

Thank you for the very well thought out and long
reponse.

--- muppet <scott asofyet org> wrote:
mostly people say that because we're all disgusted
with the typical Xlib
or Tcl/Tk app whose rainbow of garish colors hurts
the eye and is
impossible to change.  allowing the themes to do the
heavy lifting takes
the work away from the programmer, allowing the user
to decide what he
likes.

Understood.

from your description i presume you want to have the
foo-related stuff
be green, and the bar-related stuff be blue, and the
baz utilities
maroon, etc.  perhaps if you limited this to a
decorative border (a la
the druid widget) you might hit the best of
color-coding and smooth
environment integration.

Yes, exactly.  I would like for them to not only be
able to color code items, but to also chose the colors
to choose from in the first place.

When thinking about the Theme vs. colors debate, it
occured to me I might be able to leave the user with
as much flexibility as possible by letting them
associate the categories (foo, bar, baz, etc) with GTK
Themes they installed.  So, not only would things in
the foo category have the color they want, but also
the font/background etc.  And, I would not have to
deal with color selection widgets and multiple options
per category like font, font size, font color,
background color... It would all be in that theme.

With that said, is there a hidden GTK/GDK command set
that lets you change themes?  How does the GTK Theme
selector let you preview a different theme in a
working window.  Do they actually parse the theme and
set Style options one at a time within their code?

The simplest option on my part would be to let the
user name the category then choose from a pull down
menu of existing themes....

Thanks for the other wonderful information.
     andy