Setting a widget theme?

I like color coding in my applications.  I have done
this with GTK before, but the reaction received by
anyone mentioning changing colors of widgets on this
list is typically 'Don't change the colors, leave that
to themes'.

OK, fine.  But, how do I select a theme for an
individual widget?  Sort of like what the gnome theme
selector lets you do in it's theme preview.

Anyone know how to do this?  Setting a theme for a
container and all sub widgets would be my ideal.

Any ideas?
     andy
     http://www.geocities.com/critter_75075/