Re: build problems with latest cvs

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:26:57AM -0500, Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1 neces com> wrote:
podifystockitems.pl is the point at which things die rather than ParseXSDoc.

ah :)

it does indeed require Gtk2 to be working (at least in the blib dir,) but it
should not be run until the pod2man step which (on linux/x86) is after all of
the compilation as part of manifying things.

Hmm.. I fail to see why the pod2man step should be after compilation.
Was an explicit dependency added?

I mean, there is no (logical) dependency between compilation and
manifying, so I would be a bit surprised if MakeMaker would add an
unneeded one (in the cases of Gtk2 it's needed, but normal modules
obviously don't need one).

what arch was this one, perhaps different versions of ExtUtils::MakeMaker

GNU/Linux x86, stock perl-5.8.2.

and/or make are exhibiting different behaviors? i can't seem to reproduce this
problem with a make, or even make <some-specific-rule> when i have an old
version installed and building from clean.

try make -j or make -j3 or somesuch. The problem might be hidden on your
machine because the order of jobs started might "just work out right",
while in other circumstances (different make, different timing, parallel
builds etc.) podifystockitems gets run before the compilation is finished.

If there really is a dependency from running podifystockietms to the
linking process, then the bug must be elsewhere, as this clearly happens
long before linking is being done.