Horizontal aligned columns

Hi all!

I've just begun programming with gtk so please forgive my lack of
knowledge.

I am trying to create an application with the look of a table, e.g.
I'd like to have two left-aligned columns in the program.
So far I tried both the table-widget and a vbox containing several
hboxes.
Creating two columns is a fairly easy job (using the table wiget),
but aligning these to the left seems to be quite different, since
the several expand and fill options are a bit confusing.

Do you have any suggestions, hints or pointers to further literature?

Thanks in advance,

  Thomas

--
/"\
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail