Re: Draw on root window

I second the request for GDK_ROOT_PARENT.  The concept
of scripting screen savers in Perl has intriqued me
for a while :)  Perhaps a screensaver that scrolls
news updates?  Or, one that gives you system
information?  Or, simply has an amalgamation of data
that you find important.  I would love to see a
screensaver that polls the various last refreshed http
headers for web comics I read :)
    andy

--- Magnus Schmidt <yog post1 com> wrote:
Hi there,

 I'm fairly new to gtk-perl, and I stumbled over a
problem where I could not
find any answers in the archives or the net.

For a xscreensaver-hack I need to draw onto the X
root window, but I do not
know how to do this. I've found some hints to call
GDK_ROOT_PARENT() but I
wasn't able to find this Macro in the perl bindings.
Is this somehow possible
with perlgtk ?

I first tried to use a 'popup' window (I know, it is
not supposed for this),
but then I didn't receive any keyboard-events any
more. On another try I
wasn't able to get the correct call for
gdk_window_set_decorations(...) ?!

Thanks,