Tree Problems

Hello again :)

I have a problem with writing a sub for creating tree entries

Here's the code:

sub create_tree {
    my ($form,$parent,$text,$subtree,$expand,$id) = @_;

# If item not already has a subtree to be appended
if ($parent != a_subtree || $parent != "") { #if true parent is a
TreeItem, so create a new subtree
    my $newtree = new Gtk::Tree();
    $parent->set_subtree( $newtree );
    if ($expand) {
        $parent->expand;
    #now a subtree exists where to add the new TreeItem
    my $item =  new_with_label Gtk::TreeItem( $text );

        #if $parent is empty a root is created (the first entry in the
tree)
    if ($parent=="") {
        $parent = $window->FORM->{'datatree'};
    }
    else $parent=$newtree;
    $form->$parent->append( $item );
    $item->show();

    return $item,$subtree;
}

Where $form is the form in which the tree is created, $parent is either
a TreeItem or a Subtree and so on...

1. Problem: how can I find out if $parent is a TreeItem or a Subtree, to
decide if I have to create a Subtree or if I can directly append the new
TreeItem to $parent (an existing Subtree)

2. Problem: I want to edit or delete TreeItems and Subtrees later. So
how can I access them later, after many Items have been created? I think
of an array with all new tree entrys ($id) added. Does anybody have an
efficient idea?

Please help me,
Sebastian Weitzel