Re: gtk2 news

Thank you for taking this up!  I'm glad there are people who understand
it (I don't...) and are willing to work on it.

It is appreciated!

-Mark Ivey-

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 18:24, muppet wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:

 >Thoughts anyone?

sounds like a plan!

here are a couple of things i noticed from writing a rather large XS
project which needed to interface to the original GtkPerl ------ you
might want to watch out for these if you haven't considered them already:

- memory leaks are very easy to create, especially when passing a perl
list as args to a callback, or in general any callback data.  in most
places, the fix for these leaks was to hand-code the XS interface for
that function.

- the type system used a cache to speed up type lookups.  will such
caching be necessary with GObject as opposed to GtkObject?

- in several points of the API, turning the existing function names into
sensible perl OO syntax required some special handling ---- especially
with functions which modified arguments.  in the old code these were
hand-coded to have them pass back the multiple return values as a list,
in the perl-ish style.  are you planning to have a perl-ish interface to
the generated code, or keep it C-ish?  how will you determine which ones
are return values?

not meaning to cast aspersions, i'm honestly trying to help.  if you
need/want coding help, gimme a holler.

-- muppet