MIME Types

Is there a way to access the gnome mime types of files? More
specifically how do you get the mime type of a file and then using the
Gnome associations get the associated application with that mime-type.

I would also like to thank everybody for their help with my last
quandary.

--
This e-mail transmission is intended for the addressee indicated
above. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or