clipboard

Hi,

Q:
How can I send some text to the clipboard ?

Problem description:
I wrote a script to help me with bibliographies, and I
need to send the citkey to the clipboard, so I could
paste it into the text editor. Selecting it with the
mouse or the keyboard takes time, so I thought about
creating a button with an accelerator that would do
the job.

I guess I can make a text widget which won't show up
in the window, and insert there what I want to put on
clipboard, and get the text from there.

I wonder if there isn't another solution.

thanks,

Emil Perhinschi