Re: Optimization question

Since you are painting numbers, the fastest would be to do a prerendering
of all the numbers and store these in GdkPixbuf's in memory. The conversion
of an altitude reading to a number to display would then just need to
use a series of gdk_pixbuf_copy_area() to draw each of the numbers.
Using any kind of external file representation like png, is just a waste
of time.

You can do the same thing with GdkImlib images, btw, that are currently
required for the canvas. You don't need to destroy your objects btw. A
simple canvas_image->set("image"->$image) repaints the image, if I'm
not mistaken.

Regards,
Dov