Widgets in a Combo box

Hi,

I'm trying to put a widget inside the drop down part of the combo box,
specifically a Calendar widget - basically trying to emulate the
Gnome::DateEdit widget which is braindead for date formats that are
non-US. The Gtk documentation says that pretty much any widget can be
put in the dropdown box, but I just can't get it to work:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Gtk;
init Gtk;

$window = new Gtk::Window;
$window->show;
$combo = new Gtk::Combo;
$combo->show;
$window->add($combo);

$calendar = new Gtk::Calendar;
$calendar->show;

$combo->set_popdown_strings ($calendar);

main Gtk;

Just prints the stringified version of Calendar in the box.

Any help at all would be gratefully recieved.

Jon