Re: [gtk-osx-users] Errors during gtk3-launcher.sh execution.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 9:27 AM, Pascal <p p14 orange fr> wrote:

Le 29 janv. 2020 à 05:00, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> a écrit :

On Jan 28, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Pascal <p p14 orange fr> wrote:

Hello John,

Le 27 janv. 2020 à 21:56, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> a écrit :

Pascal,

Yes, the default is Zsh, but if you're upgrading from an earlier MacOS I think it's supposed to stay on
bash unless you overtly change it. It certainly has for me. What's returned by `sudo ls /var/select/sh`?

% ls -l /var/select/sh
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     9B 24 oct 05:04 /var/select/sh@ -> /bin/bash

HTH, Pascal.
https://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr

Well, that's interesting. I guess you'll have to instrument the erroring if statements to see why it's
complaining: If it's bash it's not likely to be the -o.

Hello John,

I have make some changes, see:
https://github.com/Blady-Com/gtk-mac-bundler/tree/proposal01

a) "test -n" seems not equivalent to "test ! -z" on Catalina:
c=toto
d=
if test -n $c; then echo nc; fi
if test -n $d; then echo nd; fi
if test -z $c; then echo zc; fi
if test -z $d; then echo zd; fi
gives with Catalina:
nc
nd
zd
instead of:
nc
zd
I haven't found any clue on Internet.

b) test "-a" or "-o" options seems working but not every where.
Information about on Internet is confusing.

c) line 44, LC_MESSAGES is unset but used just after, is it correct ?

Pascal,

a) Use [[ -n $d ]]... works, test and [ -n $d ] don't. Interestingly the zsh man page has a warning about
that.

b) I suspect the solution is the same, so all instances of test should change to [[ ... ]].

c) It's perhaps redundant but it makes it clear that we're clearing all of the localization environment
variables to set them from defaults.

I guess I should mention that I never found the shell-script method of setting localization to work all that
well and in GnuCash and Gramps I wrote lower-level code to do it better. That's easiest for programs coded in
C/C++ because you can call the NSLocale functions directly and parse the results; in Python you still have to
shell out to `defaults` because the alternative is importing the rather heavyweight pyobjc into your project.

One other note on your commit: There's a bunch of odd-looking whitespace changes. Make sure that you use only
spaces for indentation, GitHub doesn't display tabs consistently.