Re: [gtk-osx-users] High Sierra issues

On Jun 25, 2018, at 4:07 AM, Timo via Gtk-osx-users-list <gtk-osx-users-list gnome org> wrote:

Op 03-06-18 om 02:31 schreef John Ralls:
On Jun 2, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Christoph Reiter<reiter christoph gmail com>  wrote:

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM, John Ralls<jralls ceridwen us>  wrote:
Miroslav,

Well, I can easily add your pixman patch if you'll do a PR. I've hit the "six" issue but with gtk-doc rather than glib. I'm not sure why I didn't hit it this time, maybe PyPI is installing it somewhere global instead of into $PREFIX. The problem with it is that I haven't figured out a good way to handle PyPI in jhbuild. I've experimentally added a couple of modules by tarball reference in unstable, but it's a PITA because they have ugly URIs and PyPI doesn't keep old releases so it breaks every time there's a new package.
It's a bit hidden, but you can access pypi releases by package/filename:

https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/source/m/mutagen/mutagen-1.40.0.tar.gz
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/source/c/coverage/coverage-4.5.1.tar.gz
That's not much help, they still take the old versions down as soon as a new one goes up, breaking the module.
Chiming in here. It should be fine in my experience. You can browse the release history to get the correct links: https://pypi.org/project/six/#history

Here's an example moduleset to install six from PyPI. Six 1.11.0 is the latest version, below it's set to 1.10.0 to test the fixed/older version.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE moduleset SYSTEM "moduleset.dtd">
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href=""?>
<moduleset>
    <metamodule id="python-deps">
        <dependencies>
            <dep package="six"/>
        </dependencies>
    </metamodule>
    <repository type="tarball" name="pypi"
        href=""https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages" style="font-family: TrebuchetMS; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class="">https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/"/>
    <distutils id="six">
        <branch repo="pypi" version="1.10.0"
module="b3/b2/238e2590826bfdd113244a40d9d3eb26918bd798fc187e2360a8367068db/six-1.10.0.tar.gz"/>
    </distutils>
</moduleset>

Used with:

$ jhbuild -m pypi.modules build six

Rerun install phase of Glib and no problems.

For others who come here through Google, a quick manual way to install six without downloading and moving files like OP is the following:

Drop to the jhbuild shell when glib installation fails
$ curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py
$ python get-pip.py
$ pip install six
$ exit
Rerun phase install

Timo,

Thanks, I didn’t know about the history trick. I’m not sure that that works with all packages, but at least six will get one through the core modules.

BTW, no need to download anything to get pip on your mac, `python -m ensurepip` works.

Meanwhile I’ve made good progress with pyenv and pipenv to set up a py3 environment and I’m almost ready to write a new gtk-osx-build-setup.sh. Since Gnome is clearly headed towards Meson for all of core and Apple shows no sign of providing py3 it seems to be the best way forward. As an added benefit it means that any needed pypi packages can easily be installed up front with pip, avoiding all of the tarball hide-and-seek stuff.