Re: [gtk-osx-users] Question about CUPS module

On Jan 13, 2017, at 6:38 PM, G 3 <programmingkidx gmail com> wrote:

When I was at module 18 (gtk), it failed due to this error:

In file included from GdkQuartzView.c:21:
GdkQuartzView.h:37: error: cannot find protocol declaration for 'NSTextInputClient'
In file included from gdkwindow-quartz.h:25,
                from GdkQuartzWindow.c:22:
../../gdk/quartz/GdkQuartzView.h:37: error: cannot find protocol declaration for 'NSTextInputClient'
make[4]: *** [GdkQuartzWindow.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** [GdkQuartzView.lo] Error 1

The NSTextInputClient protocol is defined in Mac OS 10.5+, so it wasn't available on my system. The solution to this problem could be to develop a patch that conditionally uses this protocol. Or maybe I could use and older version of GTK that did compile successfully on Mac OS 10.4. Anyone know what version that would be? I'm guessing around v3.0.

That first appeared in gtk-3.8.3.

How thoroughly did you test the cairo patches? Just because it builds doesn't mean that it will behave. It would be safer to just roll back to an earlier version of cairo that doesn't have the offending API.

In order for the patches to be generally useful you'd need to bracket them with availability macros so that they can be compiled correctly against newer SDKs.