Re: [gtk-osx-users] Support for ancient MacOS versions?

On Jan 12, 2017, at 1:26 PM, Daniel O'Leary <daniel_oleary1 sbcglobal net> wrote:

John:

I received the communication in this thread under the following list:

Re: [gtk-osx-users] Support for ancient MacOS versions?

Is there a problem with the list topic, distribution etc?  The naming appears confusing at the least -
people trying to use GTK in a Mac OS X environment. It does not state what version. I realize that you are
not trying to take on a project to keep GTK alive on oler hardware, but folks are directed to your list
from the universe of configurations of Mac OS X that could use/require GTK for one reason or another. In my
case GTK is used in a discrete event simulator, as it is being migrated out of X/Motif.  The interesting
thing you noted about the change being patched around and ignored seems to indicate a recognition that a
break is not palatable at this time - and saying the min version is the current one is going to make a lot
of folks angry, especially since Sierra has a host of incompatibilities with fielded configurations.

I’m by no means an expert on this and I am just as confused by it as most others are.

Daniel,

Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

No, there's no problem with the list topic or distribution. You got the email because you subscribed to the
list.
It's for users of the gtk-osx Gnome project. That project is a set of three facilities targeted at developers
and maintainers of Gnome and other Gtk+-based applications who want to expand their user-base into Mac users
by provided a drag-and-drop installable application bundle. A sister list, gtk-osx-devel, is intended for
developers who want to help maintain the programs and libraries in the project. Anyone who isn't interested
in that sort of work should unsubscribe from the list. It's not a generic Gtk list or even a generic list for
developers of Gtk applications who want to port to Macs: There are other ways to do the latter, including
MacPorts and Homebrew.

It's not my problem if ignorant people are directed by other ignorant people to subscribe to the list because
it happens to have 'gtk' and 'osx' in its title. Subscribers who don't use gtk-osx to build and bundle
applications should unsubscribe. End users in particular should unsubscribe and subscribe to the support
lists or forums of the applications they use. They're not going to find anything useful here.

Still confused?

I'm the current sole maintainer of the gtk-osx project, and the purpose of this thread is exactly to
determine from the active users (i.e. project maintainers and developers) what they see as their active user
bases.

The "change being patched around" limits Gtk itself to build and run on 10.9 (Mavericks) or later, so under
my proposal the patch would remain through June 2018 (the fifth anniversary of Maverick's release). The fact
that the change itself is wrong (it checks for the build machine's OS version, not what macOS-version-min is
set to) and the fact that it broke builds on pre-Mavericks systems doesn't seem to concern the Gtk developers
at all, never mind indicating a "recognition that a break is not palatable".

So are you using gtk-osx? If so, what Mac platforms are you supporting and how many users do you have?