[gtk-osx-users] Slow gdk_display_get_name() on macOS Sierra

Hi,

after switching to macOS Sierra I (and another user) noticed that Geany whose OS X port I maintain starts significantly slower:

https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1277

After some debugging it turns out it's the gdk_display_get_name() call which takes several seconds to complete. This function just returns [NSHost currentHost]; according to Apple documentation

https://developer.apple.com/reference/foundation/nshost/1408946-currenthost

the function can block for several seconds, depending on user's configuration. I found some more mentions of this behaviour, e.g.

http://secure.macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=45309

Interestingly, simple unix gethostname() as used in Apple's implementation of the hostname command

https://opensource.apple.com/source/shell_cmds/shell_cmds-81.1/hostname/hostname.c

returns immediately (at least for me). Would it be OK to use gethostname() in gdk_display_get_name()? Is there some specific reason why [NSHost currentHost] is used?

Cheers,

Jiri