Re: [gtk-osx-users] cut/copy/paste accelerators in GTK widgets (and some other issues)

Hello John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 2014-12-26 19:13:32 +0000, John Ralls said:

The python bindings require that configure finds the python headers. As always with autotools-based projects, study config.log to understand why configure doesn't do what you expect.

configure did find the Python headers. Nothing obvious seems to be missing from the configure output:

checking GTK+ Version... "2.24.25"
checking Python Version... checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.3.5... python
checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.7
checking for python platform... darwin
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages checking Python Headers... checking for headers required to compile python extensions... found
configure: Switch on Gtk+ Version
checking PyGObject 2.16 or newer... checking for PYGOBJECT... yes
checking PyGtk 2.14 or newer... checking for PYGTK... yes
checking PyGObject-Codegen 2.0... checking for pygobject-codegen-2.0... /usr/local/bin/pygobject-codegen-2.0
checking PyGtk DefsDir... /usr/local/Cellar/pygtk/2.24.0/share/pygtk/2.0/defs
checking whether to build Python bindings... all
checking for gobject-introspection... yes

The fact that running make in bindings/python/gtkosx_application works fine also indicates that nothing is missing. I don't see anything obviously wrong in config.log, but it's easy to miss something, of course.

2) Building bindings/python/gtkmacintegration fails with error messages such as: gtkmacintegration.override:25:5: error: unknown type name 'GtkMacMenuGroup'; did you mean 'GtkAccelGroup'?
I ignored this for now, as I understand gtkmacintegration is deprecated anyway.

That's probably because you're building on 64-bit, and the Carbon API isn't available on that architecture.

Ah, I didn't know that (I'm new to Mac). So nothing to worry about then.

You bypassed the configuration for Python and wound up trying to compile code that isn't supported by the C code you built. Fix your environment so that configure finds everything it needs for Python and build again. If you're building only for your own use,

I don't suppose the fact that I can't build bindings/python/gtkmacintegration (due to 64 bits) makes configure decide to not build bindings/python/gtkosx_application either, does it? Wild guess...

Now, the search box in Zim's main window will work with Cmd-x/c/v, but text widgets in other windows (dialogs) don't, and they won't react to Ctrl-x/c/v anymore either. Is there any way to make this work as expected?

Possibly not. PyGtk hasn't been maintained for some time and may not have kept up with the changes to the key handling code in Gtk+-2.24. It has nothing to do with gtk-mac-integration, which only handles menus.

Yes, I figured the latter part. I'll ask over at the PyGTK mailing list.

4) Finally, Zim's application name in the menu bar is "Python", for obvious reasons. Is it possible to change this to Zim somehow? Similarly, would it be possible to replace the icon the in dock with Zim's icon?

Bundle Zim. See https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/OSX/Bundling.

Great. I'll try that.

Best regards,
Brecht