Re: [gtk-osx-users] qtk-quartz and top menu

On Mar 30, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

First, thanks very much for all the work on gtk-quartz. It's looking good these days.

That said, I'm seeing some problems with the top-level Mac menu in a gtk-quartz app. Here are two such:

1) Mac people tell me that ctrl+f2 (or fn+ctrl+f2 on a Macbook where ctrl+f2 is taken for LCD brightness)
should take you into the top-of-screen menubar, and once you're there the letter keys should navigate to
the individual menus (e.g. "w" takes you to the Window menu, "h" to help). I can confirm that this works
for native cocoa apps, but it doesn't seem to work for gtk-quartz apps using gtk-mac-integration.

2) Clicking/tapping on top-level Mac menu items shows considerable (sometimes indefinite) latency. E.g. if
I click on "Minimize" in the Window menu in a native cocoa app it minimizes with barely noticeable delay,
but if I do the same in a gtk-quartz app nothing happens -- or not for a looong time. (However, if I move
the mouse pointer after clicking, then the gtk-quartz app responds.)

What I'm reporting is from a Macbook Air running OS X 10.6.8, though I've heard the same from people on
different hardware and more recent OS X. I built gtk-quartz from the gtk 2.24.17 source package and
gtk-mac-integration from the 2.0.1 release. I browsed git for both source trees a few days ago but didn't
see any post-release entries that looked as if they might be relevant to these issues.

I initially noticed these problems with my own gtk app, but then I checked the test-integration program in
the gtk-mac-integration package and saw the same things: no ctrl+f2 menu call, and big latency on menu
selections.

Yup. There's no function-key handling built into gtk-quartz. Patches welcome.

I don't know why there would be a delay in handling the Windows>Minimize menu item, but I'll hazard a guess
that
it's not connected to a gtk event so it gets lost.

It's probably worthwhile to file bugs against either the quartz or mac-integration components of gtk+.

That said, if you want a total mac experience for you app, you'll have to write a Mac GUI for it. No
cross-platform tookit offers perfect compliance.