Re: [gtk-osx-users] getting started with osx gtk developmnet

On 18/07/2012, at 12:20 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Richard Procter
> <richard n procter gmail com> wrote:
>> An alternative may be to simply run a profiler on it to see where its soaking
>> up the time.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Running a profiler on this code sounds like a
> good learning project. What would be the best approach -- I have xcode
> installed, should I use a tool from the xcode kit? Or something more
> gnu oriented?

Much of a muchness, I suspect. I've only needed to run the python
profiler for my gtk-osx project so I can't really comment, though.

Building with debugging symbols helps the debugger/profiler help you to
interpret the C-level stack traces. See a recent thread with Jim Charlton
on the dev list for details. In short: you can enable these in the
.jhbuildrc-custom.

> I'm also reading this ... looks very interesting. 'poor man's
> profiler' technique.
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/378024/1411030

You get what you pay for :) May be worth a few minutes if you
haven't anything more sophisticated to hand.

best,
Richard.