Re: [gtk-osx-users] python and iconv issues

On Jan 14, 2012, at 7:49 PM, John Ralls wrote:

On Jan 14, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:

2012/1/15 John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us>

> > 2) iconv
> > I'm having trouble with iconv because the native cups of OS X links against iconv, but the one built in jhbuild does not expose the _iconv symbol (this happens at least on Lion). I briefly noticed another mail on this list about this issue, but didn't understand completely what was the right way to resolve the issue. Should I simply not compile iconv as part of jhbuild but instead link against the native one?
>
> The reason for building libiconv is that Apple's libiconv x86_64 image doesn't include the libiconv_open and libiconv_close symbols (though the i386 image does). This used to be a problem with GLib because it didn't correctly recognize that Apple's libiconv wasn't Gnu and tried to use those symbols. I think that that bug in GLib is fixed; you can also avoid the problem altogether by not trying to build an x86_64 image. While it's possible to build intel-universal Gtk apps, it's a pain in the rear (see http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/gtk-osx/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70) and I don't think that there's any real benefit to it (or 64-bit) for 99% of applications.
>
> Ok, I didn't manage to get it completely to work without patching glib, but I will try to simply built 32 bit binaries instead.

Really? What version of GLib? I thought it had been fixed 2.28 (which is what stable builds against).

I'm building against stable as defined in your module set. It still fails either specifying with-iconv=native or with-iconv=gnu (the first case becasue LIBICONV_H is still defined, the latter because libiconv_open is not present).

OK, thanks, I'll go have a look at git master.

Nope, I remembered wrong. The bug [1] is still open. Does your patch look like the one on the bug?