Re: [Gtk-osx-users] gimp messages

On Oct 14, 2010, at 7:13 AM, Gim Photo wrote:

> hi, thank's for the tutorial to compile gimp,
> gimp now running well on my osx system.
>
> but there are many warning messages displayed on Terminal:
> (gimp:186): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_parent: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> (gimp:186): Gtk-CRITICAL **: find_menu_position: assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL (menushell)' failed
>
> (gimp:186): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOLBAR (container) || widget->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)' failed
>
> (gimp:186): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkHBox to a GtkFrame, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkFrame can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkHBox
>
> (gimp:186): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
>

> there is also a warning message when we use GIMP Menu > File > Open... and Browse the File Dialog.
> the message is:
> (gimp:132): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_info_load_icon: assertion `icon_info != NULL' failed
>

> and also GIMP Menu > FIle > Open Recent > this cause GIMP terminated immediately with error message:
> (script-fu:134): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error Segmentation fault
>

> is that possible to fix this warnings/errors? or maybe a little info/explanation about the errors/warnings so i can modify GIMP source code to fix it.
>

> thank you for any help.

I haven't upgraded versions in most of the modulesets other than gtk-osx.modules (which builds core) in almost a year, and the version of GIMP in the stable moduleset is over a year old. So the first thing I'd suggest is that you get the latest stable release of GIMP and try that (you can set
branches["gimp"] = gimp-2.6.11.tar.bz
in your jhbuildrc-custom). If you're still getting asserts, then you should ask for help at one of the GIMP mailing lists (http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html).

If it isn't immediately obvious to you what "assertion: icon_info != NULL failed" means, then no, you shouldn't try to fix this yourself.