Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Is it me or GTK?

Yes, GDB is my friend, and yes as I had surmised before, the issue was a leak on my part.

However, given all the checks that are in the API (and I am stipulating that the OS X back-end is still a little weak), should I as the user be able to so readily forward leaks to the API? I see a lot of g_return_if_fail macros when I sift though the API code.

I am mostly running into this problem as I transition our core code off of GObject (the non interface part of our code), and starting to use static size arrays instead of calloc / free. I guess what surprises me is that there are no boundary checks (if I say it correctly) ?

From: jralls ceridwen us
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:06:10 +0200
To: gtk-osx-users lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Is it me or GTK?

On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:28 PM, Shawn Bakhtiar wrote:

My program is crashing is WAY outside any of my routines (code). I'm sure it has something to do with a leak on my part, but do we not have protections against this kind of behavior, this is far down in the engine, I would imagine that values being passed to these routines would be validated before acted up on.

I seem to be having a lot of problems with pango and its glyphing (ON OS X). It is very particular about what is acceptable text.

Well, I'd say the first step is to do a debug build and see what's actually crashing. It's not easy to tell anything from an apple dump of a release build: GDB is your friend here, at the very least to provide a more informative crash dump.

Second, a casual analysis shows that it's crashing in a redraw. Likely there's some element (since ATSU is mentioned, probably a text element) that you've created. Just because it isn't your subroutine doesn't make it not your fault. ;-) A bit of debugging will nail down what's choking it, and then you can figure out what needs to be done.

Third, if you look at the quartz implementation of Pango, you'll see that it's pretty basic; also, I've held back on versions because of Tiger support and some dithering on Bedhad's part about HIToolbox vs. ATSUI. It's probably worth your while to experiment with some newer versions.

Last, what knowledge there is about Pango on OSX will be found at gtk-i18n-list gnome org, not here. But do your homework as outlined above; without more specifics, no-one will be able to help much.