[Gtk-osx-users] problems building klavaro

Dear all,

I’m new to gtk-osx, but I must say that avoiding X11 has been a dream of mine since quite a while… So, sorry if my questions may sound ‘newbie’, but I really, really want to make this work!

I’m trying to build klavaro, which is a rather simple gtk-based “touch typing tutor”, and is supposed to require only gtk+2.0 (>= 2.16.0) and gtkdatabox (>= 0.9.1.1). So I’ve been installing gtk-osx, carefully following the instructions, everything went fine, so I assume it’s working (is there a way to check that it is?). Then, as I couldn’t find a .modules file for building gtkdatabox and/or klavaro, I wrote my own (copied below), configured the .jhbuild-custom, etc.

* gtkdatabox seems to build fine, but I don’t know how to test wether it’s actually working (so… I assume it is) ;
* I had to modify slightly the Makefile of klavaro for making it work (there was an -export-dynamic flag somewhere for ld, obviously causing an error, so I just deleted it — tell me if I’m wrong), but then the build was said successful.

However, in fact I tried three times on three different partitions of my Mac (they’re all running Snow Leopard 10.6.4, by the way, and I believe XCode is up to date), and it only really worked the first time… but I can’t figure what exactly I did different on the three occasions! (The second and the third time, the application did build, but then it crashes more too often to consider it working. With the first build, it also crashes a lot, but the basic things seem to be working almost normally.)

So my first question would be: any idea why it worked only once? Is there a way to investigate what’s going wrong? Do I miss something in the .modules file?

Second question: on Ubuntu (for example), you sometimes have to put something like
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
in your configuration file, in order to make GTK applications use the standard input method instead of GTK’s own. I seem to need that in order to make ‘dead-keys’ work normally (i.e when I type ^+E, I obviously want to have ‘ê’, not ‘^e’ — in french, we need diacritics a lot more than in english…). What would be the equivalent with gtk-osx?

Last question: I have tried to make a standalone bundle, but I suppose the .bundle file was incorrect, cause the bundled app wouldn’t work anywhere else than on the partition where it was built. How do I determine what I have to include in the bundle?

Thanks if anybody can help me a little…

Benjamin

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE moduleset SYSTEM "moduleset.dtd">
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href=""?>
<moduleset>
  <include href=""http://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/raw/master/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules">http://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/raw/master/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules"/>
  <repository type="tarball" name="sourceforge"
              href=""http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/">http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/"/>

  <autotools id="gtkdatabox" autogen-sh="configure">
<branch repo="sourceforge" module="gtkdatabox/gtkdatabox-0.9.1.1.tar.gz" version="0.9.1.1"/>
<dependencies>
<dep package="cairo"/>
</dependencies>
  </autotools>

  <autotools id="klavaro" autogen-sh="configure">
<branch repo="sourceforge" module="klavaro/klavaro-1.7.0.tar.bz2" version="1.7.0"/>
<dependencies>
<dep package="gtkdatabox"/>
<dep package="libcurl"/>
</dependencies>